Does Entrepreneurship = Typical black jacket and a crisp white shirt “Corporate Standard”? Does it mean that you can’t think outside the box?
Going against the grain shows corporate you got Style & Flare, shows creativity and expression. It also shows that you’re not afraid of what one thinks. My many years of experience in the corporate world taught me to think differently…when people saw my work they saw passion, creativity, with boldly stated colors. I remember walking into the office with Bermuda shorts (cream color) with a blazer & a satin blouse … to tie it all in, yes black stilettos (with pantyhose of course, everyone did pantyhose back then),. You’re probably wondering what era I’m talking about? Yes, you guessed it.. the 80’s when folks walked around with a square briefcase in one hand and coffee in the other looking straight ahead like robots! I on the other hand, pretty much smiled at everyone…I probably looked crazy but, I’m a southern/caribbean women brought up with deep southern values and saying good
morning with a smile said a lot about who I am and I’m pretty much the same way today; heck I love people. If you take a look at my PowerPoint presentation it will say “yes that’s her work all over it” and yes I’m still the same gal who loves fashion, creativity and the corporate world all done while wearing my stilettos. However, beware of the “Do’s & Don’ts” when coordinating your wardrobe:
- Tight does not say corporate or sexy! Who’s taking you seriously?
- Who said less is more? That’s right…your mother and grandmother whoever knew better and care about values.
- No bold make-up please, ashy hands and feet or chipped nail polish because if you can’t keep these few things together how are companies going to trust your work when you look a hot mess. So utilize the
tips below, market yourself correctly…make an effort… the ingredients isn’t
Tips for beginners:
- Have a basic black, brown, bone/ cream pump or peep toe shoe
- One black, brown or bone/cream jacket
- One or two dresses
- Lots of accessories (belts, Scarfs & bracelets)
- Be creative with your blouses (no one will ever know if you’re wearing the same jacket or pant)
Come on have fun with it!
Anyone wants to chime in?